BBC receives 6,000 complaints for soap
Friday 07 January 2011
More than 6,000 complaints about an Eastenders plot had been logged with the BBC last night and the number is expected to keep rising.
The public reaction was sparked by the storyline in which which Ronnie Branning, played by Samantha Womack, steals a newborn baby after her losing her own to cot death.
BBC executives were forced into defending the plot which was criticised as sensationalist and unrealistic. The website Mumsnet was among the critics. "We appreciate this is a challenging storyline," said executive producer Bryan Kirkwood.
The level of fury has been exceeded only once before – when more than 7,000 viewers objected to the death of Danielle Jones.
Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
Israel accused of killing 75 children during day of 'carnage' and war crimes in Gaza war
Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
Walter Palmer: Cecil the lion killer revealed to be American dentist
MH370: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
- 1 Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
- 2 Model's video shoot on the beach interrupted by sudden landing of a group of illegal migrants
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 MH370: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
- 5 'Killer robots' with AI must be banned, urge Stephen Hawking, Noam Chomsky and thousands of others in open letter
£45 - £55k DOE: Guru Careers: A Financial Controller is required to join a suc...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Product Manager / Product Owner is required to jo...
£13000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A chance to work for an extreme...
£28000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This award-winning company, whi...