BBC shows Kennedy series that riled US
Thursday 24 March 2011
Controversial mini-series The Kennedys, cancelled in the US after complaints over historical accuracy, is to be screened on BBC2.
The £19m, eight-part series, chronicling the turbulent family life of the US political dynasty, stars Greg Kinnear as John F Kennedy and Katie Holmes as his wife, Jacqueline.
It was dropped by the History Channel in the US, following protests from members of the family over its unflattering depiction of JFK's sexual exploits. Ted Sorensen, a former speech writer for JFK, called the series a "character assassination".
A&E, the parent company for the History Channel, said: "This dramatic interpretation is not a fit for the History brand."
The series will be screened in a peak-time slot on BBC2 in May.
The BBC has vowed to cut the money it spends on American imports and has already lost Mad Men to BSkyB.
Mark Thompson, the BBC's director general, said this week that the Corporation would be focusing on cost-effective European dramas, like the recent cult Danish hit, The Killing.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£27000 - £31000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Global travel com...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: "Exciting Audit S...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: As part of an ongoing effort to support local...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Put your media, photography and arts flair in...