BBC to mark 90 years of broadcasting with composition by Damon Albarn
A composition created by Blur frontman Damon Albarn will be played on every BBC radio station at the same time today to mark 90 years since the corporation's first ever broadcast.
It will be the first simultaneous radio broadcast since 1922 - when the British Broadcasting Company was established - and is expected to be heard by millions of listeners around the world.
Musician Albarn, who is also behind animated band Gorillaz, was asked to compose the three-minute audio collage of music, voices and sounds, called 2LO Calling.
It is named after the 2LO transmitter, which made the first BBC broadcast on November 14, 1922.
The Science Museum is marking the 90th anniversary with a display featuring part of the original device.
Tim Boon, head of research and public history at the museum, said: "The first broadcast by the 2LO 90 years ago marked the moment when radio moved from the realm of the 'amateur enthusiast' to the first proper public broadcasting service in Britain.
"This exhibition takes visitors back to a time when everything, from the technology to the content of the programmes was still new."
Today's broadcast will be aired on more than 55 BBC radio stations at 5.33pm.
It is estimated it has a potential reach of up to 80 million listeners.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer- £200-£250 London...
£20,000 - £23,000: Co-Venture: This is an exciting opportunity to work for a v...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...