Champions League TV rights deal may be last of its kind
Thursday 28 April 2011
Sky Sports and ITV have reached a new £400m three-year deal for Champions League broadcasting rights, although senior Uefa official William Gaillard has warned future contracts may be less generous.
Recent advice from European Union advocate general Juliane Kokott suggested that selling TV rights in separate EU member states was against European law. Gaillard said yesterday, should the European Court of Justice agree, it would shrink the TV deals: "This may force us to sell the rights on a Europe-wide basis, which would prevent us from identifying individual national TV pools."
The British deal is the largest in Europe. It allows ITV to show one live Tuesday night game, while Sky Sports will show the others.
Turkish President: 'Equality between men and women is against nature'
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
Heroin to be prescribed to Canadian addicts by doctors
Audacious North Korean kidnap plot foiled at Paris airport as 'Asian men' attempted to bundle student onto plane
Revealed: the case against Bill Cosby – through the stories of his accusers
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
- 5 Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Uncappd Comm: SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consulta...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The key requirements of the rol...
Sphere Digital Recruitment: Digital Performance Account Director – Performance & Data Driven Marketing Technology
£45k - £55k + amazing benefits: Sphere Digital Recruitment: Digital Performanc...
50,000- 60,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: Enterprise Sales Manager – SaaS ba...