Complaints over 'Top Gear' upheld
Friday 24 June 2011
The BBC's editorial complaints unit has upheld criticisms from viewers who attacked the BBC2 programme Top Gear for poking fun at Mexicans.
The Corporation had already apologised to the Mexican ambassador after he complained about the presenters.
In the 30 January edition of Top Gear, Richard Hammond said Mexican cars would be "lazy and feckless". At the time, the BBC argued that national stereotyping was part of British humour. But yesterday it agreed that the comments reinforced stereotypes.
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Blogger captures footage ‘showing BUK missile launcher that shot down jet’ now back in Russia
In pictures: Israel-Gaza conflict
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
- 1 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client who are a leading publisher in...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: A data analytics are currently looking t...
17.5k + Commission (£18.5k after probation period): ESI Media: You will be res...
£25k - £30k (DOE): Guru Careers: Two expert PPC Account Managers are needed to...