Distinctive BBC radio announcers Patricia Hughes dies aged 90
Saturday 09 February 2013
One of the BBC's most distinctive radio announcers Patricia Hughes has died at the age of 90, the corporation said today.
Hughes started at the BBC as a secretary in 1944, before becoming an announcer with a famed elegant voice.
She appeared on the Light Programme, the Home Service and the Third Programme, now known as Radio 3.
In 1969, following a career break, she returned to Radio 3 until she retired in 1983.
For many years, she was the only female announcer on Radio 3.
In addition to her radio work she recorded a number of audiobooks, including an autobiography of Margaret Thatcher, the BBC said.
She died yesterday at a nursing home in Winchester, Hampshire and leaves a daughter, Emma, and two grand-daughters.
Michael Berkeley, presenter of Private Passions on Radio 3, said she had been an "utterly idiosyncratic voice of Radio 3 for many years".
International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
Feminist quotes to inspire you on the International Women's Day
Oscar Pistorius trial first week: Never mind a media scrum – murder case becomes bizarre safari following the tracks of a wounded lion
International Women’s Day: 'When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch' - feminist quotes from female icons to inspire you
Malaysia Airlines plane: Hundreds feared dead as Vietnam air force finds oil slicks found in sea
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Founded in 2008 by two Chinese tech entre...
£40000 - £47000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group: Qualified...
£6.31 per hour: Inspiring Interns: This company delivers over 200 public secto...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K Base + Uncapped Commission + Benefits: Flight...