Dress codes: A toast to the first post-tie DG
George Entwistle's gone. Newsnight is in meltdown. The BBC is engulfed by crisis. And now, it has an acting Director-General in Tim Davie who swans about without a tie.
Ties, the argument goes, are a sign of respect for your colleagues. A man in a tie is a man who takes you, and his job, seriously.
Well, let's remember the bankers who fleeced us in impeccable neckwear. And ties are now abnormal in a lot of offices.
Sure, if everyone's wearing one, follow suit. But if your colleagues tend to be a little more casually attired, I'd suggest that a pointless tie is an unearned way of asserting your superiority. Plus, it makes people think you've got a job interview in your lunch hour. So, Mr Davie, stay loose. At least no one will think you've got a meeting lined up at ITV.
Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, GAME, PC World and Argos
Miss Honduras Maria Jose Alvarado's stylist Luis Alfredo Garcia is found stabbed to death
Dr Lam Hoe Yeoh: Voyeur doctor jailed for eight years after using network of hidden cameras to film patients, colleagues and friends on the toilet
'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£18000 - £25000 per annum + £35k ote: h2 Recruit Ltd: Looking for your first s...
£19000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This publishing house has been ...
£20000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Award winning Peterborough base...