Evans's breakfast show attracts more listeners
The DJ Chris Evans has achieved what few radio industry observers thought possible, and added more than a million listeners to the audience of his Radio 2 breakfast show, which for much of the past four decades has been the domain of Sir Terry Wogan.
In his first set of quarterly figures since inheriting the slot from Sir Terry at the start of the year, Evans recorded a weekly audience of 9.5 million, compared to the 8.4 million who formerly tuned in for the long-standing Irish-born broadcaster.
Evans's performance helped lift Radio 2 to a new high of 14.57 million weekly listeners – up from 13.46m last year. The Radio 1 breakfast show presenter Chris Moyles also achieved his highest-ever audience figure at 7.88 million a week.
The findings, which were issued by radio industry body Rajar, also provided a boost for the threatened digital station BBC 6 Music.
Helped in no small part by publicity surrounding its possible demise as part of a strategic review of the BBC, the eclectic music station saw its audience grow to 1.02 million from 695,000 in the previous quarter.
On Monday, the station was given another boost when it won two prizes at the Sony Radio Academy Awards.
Another digital station earmarked for closure, BBC Asian Network, posted a decline in listeners, with only 357,000 tuning in each week, compared to 405,000 last year.
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
One spelling error costs Companies House up to £9 million after being sued for ruining business
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This established Digital Agency based in East ...
£35 - 45K + COMMISSION (NEG): Guru Careers: A Sales Director / Business Develo...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + 20 days holidays & pension: Ashdown Group: Marketi...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: Working for a independently owne...