Gambling critics eye new Cowell show
Wednesday 04 May 2011
Simon Cowell will turn Wembley into a giant casino for a roulette-based game show which could raise concerns that ITV is encouraging gambling. Seven contestants will be offered the chance to walk away with £1m or nothing – in Red or Black?, produced by Cowell's SyCo television company, in partnership with ITV.
Ant and Dec will host the ITV1 series, which will be filmed in front of an audience of 7,000 at Wembley Arena next month. Contestants will take part in nationwide heats and be asked to guess the result of several spectacular challenges that have a 50/50 outcome.
Cowell said the game would comply with restrictions on television gambling. "It's not gambling because people are not using their cash," he said. Contestants would "risk their luck" rather than gamble on winning the £1m.
Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
UK weather: Warning for more snow and ice as freezing temperatures and gales hit Britain
Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
UK weather: Travel chaos continues as King's Cross train delays add to snow on roads
The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
- 5 Magna Carta will be 800 years old next year – the perfect reminder of the rights and freedoms we must hold dear
£40000 - £45000 per annum + car allowance: Ashdown Group: Senior Brand Manager...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: We are seeking a .NET Developer /.NET Software ...
£18 - 24k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Marketing Analyst / Online Marketing...
£Neg. (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Technical Ope...