Harriet Harman calls on BBC to sack Jeremy Clarkson
Deputy Labour leader Harriet Harman last night called for the BBC to sack Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson over the use of the “n word”.
The shadow Culture Secretary said anybody who used the word “in whatever context” should have no place at the broadcaster. Her intervention came after Education Secretary Michael Gove urged the corporation not to axe Clarkson.
In a Twitter post, Ms Harman said: “Anybody who uses the n word in public or private in whatever context has no place in the British Broadcasting Corporation.”
Clarkson became embroiled in a racism row following claims that he used the n word while reciting the rhyme “Eeny, Meeny, Miny Moe” while shooting an episode of the BBC2 programme.
In the footage Clarkson is using the rhyme to compare two sports cars. He said he “mumbled where the offensive word would normally occur” in two takes, and used the word “teacher” in its place in a third.
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
£80000 - £90000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: Working for an International Mul...
£25000 - £27000 per annum + Bonus: Sauce Recruitment: Within your role as Busi...
£15 - 20k: Guru Careers: We are looking for an eager IT Graduate / Technology ...
£55 - 65k + 25% Y1 OTE + Fantastic Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an e...