Millions of UK viewers tune in for Michael Jackson send off
Wednesday 08 July 2009
Michael Jackson's star-studded memorial was a bigger draw than EastEnders, according to overnight viewing figures.
Some channels cleared their schedules to show the Los Angeles celebration live - further complicated by the event running longer than expected - but it proved to be a ratings winner, with a combined audience of more than 6.5 million tuning in.
BBC2 drew an average of 4.5 million viewers for the spectacle - more than double the normal figure for the early evening slot - while Five landed 1.2 million and Sky News was watched by almost 900,000.
The edition of EastEnders on BBC1, screened at 7.30pm, had an audience of 4.7 million. The final 15 minutes of BBC2's Jackson coverage had 5.2 million viewers.
The Sky News audience was the largest since the beginning of the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site on Friday
Top Gear presenter is no stranger to foot-in-mouth controversy
New UK station Russia Today gives a very bizarre view of Britain
- 1 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 2 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 3 Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised for beer tweet
- 4 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 5 The bubble bursts for Sodastream
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel your sales role is l...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £100,000: SThree: If you would like to work fo...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Uncapped Commission £100k +: SThree: Trainee Recru...