Millions of UK viewers tune in for Michael Jackson send off
Wednesday 08 July 2009
Michael Jackson's star-studded memorial was a bigger draw than EastEnders, according to overnight viewing figures.
Some channels cleared their schedules to show the Los Angeles celebration live - further complicated by the event running longer than expected - but it proved to be a ratings winner, with a combined audience of more than 6.5 million tuning in.
BBC2 drew an average of 4.5 million viewers for the spectacle - more than double the normal figure for the early evening slot - while Five landed 1.2 million and Sky News was watched by almost 900,000.
The edition of EastEnders on BBC1, screened at 7.30pm, had an audience of 4.7 million. The final 15 minutes of BBC2's Jackson coverage had 5.2 million viewers.
The Sky News audience was the largest since the beginning of the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
- 1 Top Gear team of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May officially heading to Amazon Prime for new car show
- 2 Stuart Baggs: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 3 How to cancel Amazon Prime: after Top Gear hiring, how to leave premium service
- 4 Tesco scraps 'unexpected item in the bagging area' as self-checkouts switch to less 'frustrating' audio
- 5 Living in Spain and commuting to London 'cheaper than actually working in London'
£18 - 25k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Graduate Print Producer / Account Execut...
£18000 - £19000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Graduate Digital Marketin...
£45 - £55k DOE: Guru Careers: A Financial Controller is required to join a suc...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Product Manager / Product Owner is required to jo...