Miriam Margolyes: 'My confession killed my mother'
Sunday 28 September 2008
The actress Miriam Margolyes, who began her career making soft-porn audio tapes, reveals today that she believes coming out as a lesbian killed her mother.
"I really came to terms with things in 1967," she tells Kirsty Young on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs. "I was in my late twenties. When I told my mother that I had had an affair with a woman, she had a stroke about three days later. I was very shocked by what happened, which started the long period of her terrible illness and the blackest time of my life.
"I realised that telling people things that they can't deal with is an indulgence," she added. "It caused the person I loved most in the world a pain she could not bear. And I have to take the responsibility for that. I should have been aware that that was something I could not say."
She adds that a further result of her confession was her mother didn't live to see her success, which included her role as Queen Victoria in Blackadder. "That is so sad. It hurts me," she said.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£25 - 30k (DOE) + Bonus & Benefits: Guru Careers: We are looking for an Accoun...
£25k Basic (DOE) – (£30k year 1 OTE) : Guru Careers: We are seeking a bright A...
£15-20k (DOE) + Benefits / Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking a bright R...
£25 - 40k (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Web Desig...