Television: The importance of being Ernest (and Martha)
The reviews are in for Hemingway & Gellhorn, the racy HBO television movie that aired in the US this week, and they're almost as hotheaded as the films' subjects.
Starring Clive Owen as Ernest Hemingway and Nicole Kidman as legendary war reporter Martha Gellhorn, the film begins with the pair meeting in a Florida bar in 1936 and chronicles their tumultuous relationship, marriage and divorce against a backdrop of some of the 20th century's most significant events.
The New York Times gave a withering put-down of the £9m picture, calling it "a disheartening misfire" and wincing at the "fake-poetic dialogue". Best of all was New York magazine, which concluded that its characters were "behaving less like cinematic avatars of real historical figures than hot-tempered Barbie and Ken dolls with genitals". Meow!
MH17 crash: Investigators discover more human remains and 'huge section of plane'
Susan Sarandon on David Bowie romance: 'He's worth idolising'
Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 4 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: A data analytics are currently looking t...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client who are a leading publisher in...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: A leading marketing agency is currently ...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: A leading marketing agency in Central Lo...