Watchdog bans offensive anti-terror advert
Wednesday 11 August 2010
Britain's advertising watchdog has banned an anti-terrorism commercial asking people to watch out for suspicious behavior by their neighbors, including keeping curtains closed and paying for things in cash.
The Advertising Standards Authority says the radio ad could cause "serious offense" to law-abiding citizens.
The ad was part of a campaign for a police anti-terrorist hotline. It described a man who "likes to keep himself to himself," doesn't have a bank card and keeps his curtains closed, before advising that "this may mean nothing, but together it could all add up to you having suspicions."
The watchdog said today that innocent listeners could be offended by the implication that their behavior was suspicious and ruled the ad should not run again.
Russell Brand opposes anti-Semitism after death threats: 'We must disavow all forms of prejudice that lead to exclusion and execution'
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – as hunt begins for killer
ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Microbial life found living on the exterior of the International Space Station, say reports
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum + 25 days holiday and bonus: Clearwater People Solut...
Highly Competitive Salary + Commission: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL BASED - DEALING ...