Watchdog rejects Ashcroft complaint
Tuesday 22 June 2010
A complaint that the Today programme treated Lord Ashcroft unfairly was rejected yesterday by the broadcasting watchdog.
Lawyers Harbottle and Lewis complained to Ofcom about an edition of the BBC Radio 4 show on 17 December last year. They felt the programme had wrongly and unfairly stated that during Prime Minister's Questions the Liberal Democrats had accused Lord Ashcroft, the Tory party deputy chairman, of tax evasion and therefore implied he was guilty of a criminal offence.
But Ofcom found the report was a "fair reflection" of the discussion which made clear that while the Liberal Democrats had initially raised a question about tax evasion, they had not accused Lord Ashcroft of committing the offence.
America’s new apartheid: Prosperous white districts are choosing to break away from black cities and go it alone
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
- < Previous
- Next >
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum + 25 days holiday and bonus: Clearwater People Solut...
£15,000 - £20,000: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join...
£20,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join...