Twitter users creating 50 million 'tweets' a day
Wednesday 24 February 2010
Twitter users are creating 50 million of messages of 140 characters or less each per day, the micro-blogging service said Monday.
Kevin Weil, a member of Twitter's analytics team, said in a blog post that Twitter users were writing 5,000 "tweets" per day in 2007, 300,000 per day in 2008 and 2.5 million per day in 2009.
"Tweets grew 1,400 percent last year to 35 million per day," Weil said. "Today, we are seeing 50 million tweets per day - that's an average of 600 tweets per second."
Weil said the 50-million figure does not include messages from accounts identified as spam.
The number of actual "tweets" delivered is far higher because many messages are delivered to multiple accounts, he added.
The San Francisco-based Twitter does not release figures on the total number of users of the service, which was launched in August 2006.
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
Kim Jong-un 'purge': Six North Korea officials missing for weeks 'may have been executed'
Diwali: What is the festival of lights – and how is it celebrated around the world?
Nathan Cirillo: Final pictures emerge of soldier moments before he was shot dead by Ottowa gunman
Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 1 Marijuana use by teenagers does not result in a lower IQ or worse exam results, study finds
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel like your sales role...
competitive + bonus + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: A global entertainment busi...
£80000 - £90000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: Working for an International Mul...
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...