Twitter users creating 50 million 'tweets' a day
Wednesday 24 February 2010
Twitter users are creating 50 million of messages of 140 characters or less each per day, the micro-blogging service said Monday.
Kevin Weil, a member of Twitter's analytics team, said in a blog post that Twitter users were writing 5,000 "tweets" per day in 2007, 300,000 per day in 2008 and 2.5 million per day in 2009.
"Tweets grew 1,400 percent last year to 35 million per day," Weil said. "Today, we are seeing 50 million tweets per day - that's an average of 600 tweets per second."
Weil said the 50-million figure does not include messages from accounts identified as spam.
The number of actual "tweets" delivered is far higher because many messages are delivered to multiple accounts, he added.
The San Francisco-based Twitter does not release figures on the total number of users of the service, which was launched in August 2006.
Belle Knox: How the porn star student from Duke University became bigger than Justin Bieber
Top 10 most expensive cities in the world: Singapore named costliest place to live – but what about London?
Oscar Pistorius trial: Neighbour feared athlete would use gun that killed his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp to shoot himself
Oscar Pistorius trial: Athlete 'cheated on me' with Reeva Steenkamp, former girlfriend Samantha Taylor tells Pretoria court
Channel 4 announces two-hour TV show to be broadcast 'Live from Space' later this month
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Channel 4 announces two-hour TV show to be broadcast 'Live from Space' later this month
- 4 Man stabbed with Legend of Zelda Master Sword in serious condition
- 5 Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Founded in 2008 by two Chinese tech entre...
£40000 - £47000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group: Qualified...
£6.31 per hour: Inspiring Interns: This company delivers over 200 public secto...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K Base + Uncapped Commission + Benefits: Flight...