'Vogue' will have a pint-sized little sister
The world of women's glossy magazines is to gain another upstart, in the form of a younger sister for the fashion bible
The world of women's glossy magazines is to gain another upstart, in the form of a younger sister for the fashion bible Vogue.
CondÃ© Nast announced yesterday that it is to launch a British edition of Glamour, the young women's fashion magazine launched in the US in 1939. The format has not yet been decided, but insiders suggest it is likely to copy the Italian version of Glamour, and become Britain's only A5 sized fashion publication.
The magazine - to be launched in the spring with a £5m marketing campaign - will be edited by Jo Elvin, formerly of New Woman, and will concentrate on "mid-market" fashion, beauty and features, with an emphasis on celebrity coverage. CondÃ© Nast, which describes it as the most important launch in the sector since Marie Claire and New Woman in 1988, says it will be aimed at young women enjoying their freedom and independence.
Nicholas Coleridge, managing director of CondÃ© Nast, said: " Glamour is our first launch into the middle market and we are going in with all guns blazing ... In the States, CondÃ© Nast has a significant position in this sector, publishing Glamour, Mademoiselle, Allure and Self. I am confident that Glamour can rapidly take up an equivalent position in this country."
US Glamour has a circulation of 2.2 million and a readership of almost 11 million. A German edition will also be launched in the spring.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer- £200-£250 London...
£20,000 - £23,000: Co-Venture: This is an exciting opportunity to work for a v...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...