Millennium Bug Watch
Saturday 07 August 1999
What they're unsure about is exactly what might happen?
Japanese toilets, a source of pride to their owners and amazement to everybody else, often include microprocessor systems, which raise the pedestal to a convenient height or control bidet functions.
Brian Randell, of Newcastle University's department of computing science, said that he regularly visits a research lab in Japan where a toilet includes digital controls with displays of date and time, a sure-fire pointer to millennium bug hazards, which can affect any chip that relies on the date. "Guessing how they could go wrong is impossible - though fun," said Professor Randell.
Japan's advanced toilets already have been implicated in a number of house fires, caused by water leaking on to electrical contacts used to heat water for the bidet. Or, as the Japanese newspaper Mainichi Shinbun put it, "Many fires by toilet: it smells and your bottom is on fire".
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £69999 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Algo-Develo...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
£50000 - £80000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Data Sci...
£350 - £400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Cent...