Ministers plan to end post monopoly
The news came amid attempts to start fresh peace talks after the Communication Workers' Union ordered a considerable escalation of the action on Thursday with four new strikes.
In a letter to the Post Office, Ian Lang, President of the Board of Trade, set in train the consultation process needed to lift the Royal Mail's sole right to deliver letters for less than pounds 1.
It was not clear yesterday how long the period of consultation or any possible suspension might last, or which parts of the mail might be up for grabs.
Alan Johnson, joint general secretary of the union, said it was "very unlikely" they would change the system just for the period of the dispute. It could lost "years rather than months".
Ministers have warned that the Government could come under pressure to allow private companies a permanent right to handle letters once the monopoly has been suspended. The union fears it could lead to renewed calls for the privatisation of the Royal Mail.
Mr Lang's letter asks Sir Michael Heron, chairman of the Post Office, to evaluate the impact of a suspension, which is most likely to affect bulk mailing by businesses. Mr Lang has the right to allow private firms to deliver letters under the British Telecommunications Act of 1981. The monopoly was last suspended a quarter of a century ago when postal workers went on strike for weeks on end.
A spokesman for the Post Office conceded that Mr Lang's plans were of "great significance" to its business and they would be treating the matter "very seriously".
The Direct Marketing Association, which represents companies which sell products through bulk mailing, said the Government's decision had followed intense lobbying by its representatives. The association estimated the industry would lose pounds 11m a day if disruption was prolonged.
The Government has so far acquiesced over the "restriction on trade" in order to stop companies "cherry-picking" profitable bulk mailing business.
The move by Mr Lang comes after the union - which has already led two day-long stoppages - announced strikes ranging in length from 24 hours to 48 hours. Some 130,000 sorting and delivery workers are to walkout for 24 hours from 3am next Thursday; 36 hours from 10am on 26 July; 48 hours from 3am on 31 July and 24 hours from 3am on 6 August.
Woolwich terror attack: Suspect Michael Adebowale saw friend 'literally sliced to pieces' in 2008
Emergency landing at Heathrow sparks further controversy over London airport capacity
Unrest may spread across Europe, warns Red Cross chief
Hate attacks on Muslims increase tenfold since murder of Woolwich soldier
You want to get an Eton scholarship? All you need to do is answer four (not so simple) questions
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.