Mother of murdered boy is arrested
Friday 20 January 1995
Ruth Neave, 26, was detained early yesterday morning and remained in custody last night as questioning continued.
Rikki's naked body was found, after a huge police search, in undergrowth in a copse only 500 yards from his home in Redmile Walk on the Welland Estate, Peterborough, on 30 November.
The day before he had played truant from Welland County Primary, and his mother reported him missing that evening.
The last confirmed sighting was at 6.30pm on 29 November outside a row of shops with a group of children. Eighteen hours later his body was found and 150 yards away his clothes were found in a dustbin. A post mortem examination showed he had been strangled, but not sexually assaulted.
Neighbours described the chubby schoolboy, one of four children, as "a lovable rogue". More than 100 officers were assigned to the case and last month two teenagers were arrested and questioned about the murder. They were released without charge.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...