New bird found in Ecuador jungle
Friday 12 June 1998
"He and I recognised right off the bat that this was something very peculiar," recalled Mr Ridgely, director of the Center for Neotropical Ornithology at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia.
What Mr Ridgely, 52, and the Ecuadorean expert, Lelis Navarrete, heard and eventually saw high in the Andes mountains, was a new bird species.
Once he saw the large bird with the unusual white facial markings, he knew that it was "one of the most distinctive new birds to be found in a while".
The academy was to formally announce the discovery yesterday, and soon will submit a description of the bird to a leading ornithological journal, The Auk. The scientists will also name the bird. They have determined it is a species of the genus Antpitta, a group of very reclusive, long- legged, non-migratory birds.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...