NO-HEADLINE

Click to follow
The Independent Online
The parents of a 10-year-old girl who died under general anaesthesia during a routine dental operation yesterday called for such anaesthetics to be used only in hospitals. Patricia Dougal and Edward Quinn, from Breaston, Derbyshire, made their demand for action shortly after an inquest jury in Derby returned a majority verdict of accidental death on Katie Dougal.

She died in January after suffering a heart attack when the anaesthetist, Dr Tatas Kumar Basoo, continued an operation to file and cap her two front teeth even though equipment to monitor levels of carbon dioxide during treatment was faulty. He admitted breaking guidelines by relying only on his experience to regulate carbon dioxide levels in her lungs. Louise Jury

Comments