Tuesday 31 March 1998
Births: Rene Descartes, philosopher, 1596; Andrew Marvell, poet, pamphleteer and politician, 1621. Deaths: John Donne, poet, 1631; John Constable, painter, 1837; Charlotte Bronte, novelist, 1855. On this day: the Eiffel Tower was inaugurated in Paris, 1889; Whitcomb Judson, inventor, patented the zip fastener, 1896. Today is the Feast Day of St Acacius or Achatius, St Balbina, St Benjamin and St Guy of Pomposa.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Ten best places to live in the UK: Solihull comes top
Paul Walker autopsy: Results reveal Fast and Furious star's cause of death
Mysterious glowing ‘alien-like creature’ spotted in waters of Bristol Harbour. A jellyfish - or something fishy?
From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£21000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Graduate QA/Graduate T...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (MySQL, ...