Saturday 04 October 1997
TOMORROW: Sir Raymond Appleyard, biologist, 75; Mr Robin Bailey, actor, 78; Mr John Bridgeman, Director-General of Fair Trading, 53; Mr Alastair Chisholm of Chisholm, chief of the Clan Chisholm, 77; Mr Ray Clemence, footballer, 49; Miss Stephanie Cole, actress, 56; The Most Rev Joseph Cunnane, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Tuam, 84; Miss Laura Davies, golfer, 34; Sir John Dent, former Chairman, Civil Aviation Authority, 74; Mr Bob Geldof, musician, 43; The Right Rev Robert Hardy, Bishop of Lincoln, 61; Mr Vaclav Havel, President of the Czech Republic, 61; Lord Holderness, former government minister, 77; Miss Glynis Johns, actress, 74; Mr Robert Kee, author and broadcaster, 78; Miss Barbara Kelly, actress and broadcaster, 73; Mr Herbert Kretzmer, journalist and lyricist, 72; Mrs Kate Losinka, former trade union leader, 73; Mr David Mellor, silversmith and designer, 67; Sir Edward Peck, former British ambassador to Nato, 82; Sir Douglas Ranger, otolaryngologist, 81; Mr Adrian Sindall, ambassador to Syria, 60; Sir Richard Thompson Bt, former MP and director of British Museum Publications, 85.
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...