Briefly: Ivan Vranetic
Friday 05 February 2010
Ivan Vranetic, who died this week aged 84, was a Yugoslav partisan who saved Jews during the Holocaust and went on to head the organisation that honours non-Jews who saved Jews from the Nazis. Israel's Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem recognised Vranetic in 1970 as one of the "Righteous Among the Nations" for helping Jews find hiding places in Croatia during the Second World War.
After the war, Vranetic kept in contact with many of the people he had saved, among them Arna Montilio. Montilio immigrated to Israel, and though her mother would not let her marry a Gentile, she kept in touch with her rescuer. Around 20 years later he went to Israel and the two were married.
He was granted honorary Israeli citizenship and in 1986 was elected chairman of "Righteous Among the Nations". More than 22,700 Gentiles have been recognised by Yad Vashem for risking their lives to save Jews.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...