Dixie Evans: Queen of Burlesque
Wednesday 28 August 2013
Dixie Evans, who died on 3 August aged 86, was a burlesque performer who later ran a striptease museum in the Southern California desert. Born Mary Lee Evans in 1926, she was working in celery fields near Los Angeles when she answered an ad for Hollywood chorus girls. That led to modeling jobs and to burlesque, where she had an act imitating Marilyn Monroe. She later founded a museum that featured Sally Rand's fans and lingerie from Gypsy Rose Lee. It moved to Las Vegas in 2006 and is now called the Burlesque Hall of Fame.
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...