Saturday 26 December 2009
Grigory Baklanov, who died on 23 December aged 86, was a Russian author and editor who wrote fiction which tapped into his Second World War experience.
Baklanov was recruited into the Red Army months after the Nazi attack on the Soviet Union. He went to the front line as an 18-year-old private and witnessed the bitter Soviet defeats early in the war, then rose through the ranks to become an artillery officer.
Baklanov was badly wounded in combat and received several medals for valour. His works, such as An Inch of Land, Forever Nineteen," July 1941 and The Dead Shouldn't Be Shamed, have been widely published in the former Soviet Union and abroad. Baklanov won the prestigious State Prize of the Soviet Union.
During Mikhail Gorbachev's reforms, Baklanov played a prominent role as the editor of Znamya, a leading literary monthly. Znamya helped spearhead Gorbachev's glasnost drive, publishing works previously banned by Communist censors and exposing the crimes of Stalin and his henchmen.
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...