Saturday 28 November 2009
Hisaya Morishige, who died on 24 November aged 96, was an actor who became the first recipient of Japan's Order of Culture from the field of popular art.
Born in Osaka, Morishige started his film career after the Second World War, rising to stardom after playing the role of a spoiled son from a rich family in the 1955 drama Meoto Zenzai and performing in comedy movies known as the "Shacho" series and the "Ekimae" series after their titles.
He was also involved in musicals and set a record in performing Yane No Ue No Baiorin-hiki (Fiddler on the Roof) 900 times, while also performing in television dramas and radio programmes. He was successful in singing and song-writing as well, his hit songs including "Shiretoko Ryojo."
After becoming head of the Japan Actors Union, he strived to improve actors' status, and was awarded the Order of Culture in 1991. His books include his autobiography Morishige Jiden.
- 1 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 2 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...