Wednesday 13 June 2012
Further to your obituary of Maureen Popp, née Dunlop (11 June), as a close friend of Maureen – and, like her, a former pilot – I was honoured to be asked to escort her to an investiture meeting of the Guild of Air Pilots, writes Richard Gregory.
There, along with Diana Barnato and Lettice Curtiss, she was made an honorary Master Pilot in recognition of wartime service in the Air Transport Auxiliary. Maureen was made First Officer, which authorised her to fly any aircraft in use by either the RAF or United States Air Force.
All the information considered necessary for the ATA to perform their very demanding duties was constrained on one side of an ordinary postcard "filed" on a couple of ordinary key rings! By contrast, Pilots' Notes for the contemporary Spitfire ran to 65 pages. When I asked her to name her favourite aircraft of them all, she replied unhesitatingly, "The Mosquito – but they were so fast [only the North American Mustang was faster] that I didn't get many hours in my logbook on that type!"
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Ryanair calls on CAA to act over air traffic chaos caused by telephone system glitch
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Developer (...
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...