Thursday 03 September 2009
One attempt to relaunch Simon Dee was made in 1971 by ATV, who wanted him to chair a series of programmes on the Decalogue,
writes Anthony Phillips (obituary, 2 September).
I was engaged as consultant to write the weekly introduction for Dee and beforehand to direct the panel, which changed each week, on their approach to that week's commandment. We met at Elstree to sign our contracts.
Dee immediately started making extra demands of the producer which he could not meet. He then lost his temper, angrily accused the producer's secretary of "fancying him", tore up his contract and stormed out.
The late Mike Raven (Michael Fairman) replaced him and the series proved a considerable success.
- 1 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 2 'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: it's not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
- 5 Paracetamol Challenge: Mother of girl killed by overdose pleads with teenagers to ignore 'craze'
UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
Priest warns pupils the 'Charlie Charlie Challenge' is 'demonic activity'
Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
University league tables: Best universities for teaching standards rank Oxford, Cambridge and Coventry among top 20
Tinder and Grindr dating apps blamed for surge in cases of HIV, syphilis and other STDs
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K YR1: SThree: At SThree, we like to be dif...
£30 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software / Web Developer (PHP / MYSQL) i...
£18 - 20k + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Executive is needed to join one...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software Developer / Software Engineer i...