Saturday 01 March 1997
TOMORROW: Births: Sir Thomas Bodley, founder of the Bodleian Library, 1545; Bedrich Smetana, composer, 1824; Kurt Julian Weill, composer, 1900. Deaths: John Wesley, founder of Methodism, 1791; David Herbert Lawrence, novelist, 1930; Howard Carter, painter and Egyptologist, 1939. On this day: an attempt was made by Robert Maclean to assassinate Queen Victoria, 1882; the French prototype Concorde made its first test flight, 1969. Tomorrow is the Feast Day of St Chad or Caedda, St Joavan of Brittany and The Martyrs under the Lombards.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Latest in News
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Leading global manufacturing com...
£185 - £250 per day: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a ...