Saturday 01 March 1997
TOMORROW: Births: Sir Thomas Bodley, founder of the Bodleian Library, 1545; Bedrich Smetana, composer, 1824; Kurt Julian Weill, composer, 1900. Deaths: John Wesley, founder of Methodism, 1791; David Herbert Lawrence, novelist, 1930; Howard Carter, painter and Egyptologist, 1939. On this day: an attempt was made by Robert Maclean to assassinate Queen Victoria, 1882; the French prototype Concorde made its first test flight, 1969. Tomorrow is the Feast Day of St Chad or Caedda, St Joavan of Brittany and The Martyrs under the Lombards.
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year
£60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Compensation and Benefits Manager - Compensat...
£28000 - £35000 per annum + negotiable: Sauce Recruitment: We have an exciting...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Advisor - North London...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + negotiable: Sauce Recruitment: We have an exciting...