Monday 31 January 1994
Deaths: Guy Fawkes, and the other conspirators, executed 1606; Alan Alexander Milne, author, 1956.
On this day: Sir Robert Peel repealed the Corn Laws, 1846; Leon Trotsky (Lev Davidovich Bronstein), was expelled from the Soviet Union, 1929; Apollo 14 was launched from Cape Kennedy, 1971.
Today is the Feast Day of St Adamnan of Coldingham, St Aidan or Maedoc of Ferns, Saints Cyrus and John of Alexandria, St Eusebius of St Gall, St Francis Xavier Bianchi, St John Bosco, St Marcella of Rome, St Nicetas of Novgorod and St Ulphia.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join one of...
£18000 - £20000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Assistant (Events busi...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This privately-owned company designs and manuf...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen at th...