Tuesday 27 April 1993
On this day: the Order of St Michael and St George was founded, 1817; the London Zoological Gardens opened, Regent's Park 1828; Christina Rossetti, aged 12, produced her first book of poems, 1842; 1,450 people died when the Sultana steamboat exploded on the Mississippi, 1865; Germany was billed for pounds 650m for damage done by her forces in the First World War, 1921; the Carlton Theatre opened, London 1927; the Piccadilly Theatre opened, London 1928; Guernica was destroyed in bombing by German aircraft, Spain 1937; it was announced that men aged 20-21 would be conscripted, 1939; Georgi Malenkov became leader in the Soviet Union, 1954; Togo became independent, 1960; Sierra Leone became independent, 1961.
Today is the Feast Day of St Anthimus of Nicomedia, St Asicus or Tassach, Saints Castor and Stephen, St Floribert of Liege, St Maughold or Maccul, and St Zita.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Latest in News
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Leading global manufacturing com...
£185 - £250 per day: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a ...