Saturday 28 January 1995
. Today is the Feast Day of St Amadeus of Lausanne, St Paulinus of Aquileia, St Peter Nolasco, St Peter Thomas and St Thomas Aquinas.
TOMORROW: Births: Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, playwright, 1860; Frederick Delius, composer, 1862; W.C. Fields, comedian, 1880. Deaths: King George III, 1820; Edward Lear, painter and writer, 1888; Douglas, first Earl Haig, field marshal, 1928. On this day: Greenwich Mean Time was adopted in Scotland, 1848; Desert Island Discs was first broadcast, 1942. Tomorrow is the Feast Day of St Gildas the Wise, St Sabinian of Troyes and St Sulpicius "Severus". n
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Latest in News
Rapper Ja Rule forced to deny leaving his wife for prison cell mate
Ten best places to live in the UK: Solihull comes top
Mysterious glowing ‘alien-like creature’ spotted in waters of Bristol Harbour. A jellyfish - or something fishy?
From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Leading global manufacturing com...
£185 - £250 per day: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a ...