Friday 21 May 1993
Deaths: Henry VI, King of England, murdered 1471; James Graham, first Marquess of Montrose, Scottish royalist, executed 1650; Christopher Smart, poet, 1771; Franz von Suppe (Francesco Cavaliere Suppe Demelli), composer, 1895; Ronald Arthur Annesley Firbank, novelist, 1926; Jane Addams, sociologist, 1935; Hugo de Vries, geneticist, 1935; Kenneth Mackenzie, Baron Clark, art historian, 1983.
On this day: the Standard newspaper was first published, 1827; Captain William Hobson proclaimed British sovereignty over the whole of New Zealand, 1840; the Manchester Ship Canal was officially opened, 1894; Summer Time (daylight saving) was begun in Britain, 1916; Charles A. Lindbergh reached Paris at the end of his flight across the Atlantic, 1927.
Today is the Feast Day of St Andrew Bobola, St Godfric and St Theophilus of Corte.
From the blogs
There are more empty shops on our high streets than ever before, says another report into the state ...
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
National archives: Edward VIII’s phone calls - and how MI5 bugged them
World news in pictures
Eyewitness Ingrid Loyau-Kennett gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness Ingrid Loyau-Kennett gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.