Tuesday 17 June 1997
Mr Donald Anderson MP, 58; Lord Barber of Tewkesbury, environment consultant, 79; Mr Simon Bowes Lyon, Lord-Lieutenant of Hertfordshire, 65; Sir Michael Caine, former chairman, Booker plc, 70; Mr Nicholas Cook, cricketer, 41; Sir William Dale, legal consultant, 91; Sir Edward Downes, conductor, 73; Dr Sir Patrick Duffy, former MP, 77; Mrs Laura Duncan, Sheriff of Glasgow and Strathkelvin, 50; Sir Patrick Fairweather, former ambassador to Italy and Albania, 61; Sir Stanley Grinstead, former chairman, Reed International, 73; Mr Derek Ibbotson, athlete, 65; Air Chief Marshal Sir Peter Le Cheminant, former Lieutenant Governor of Guernsey, 77; Mr Ken Livingstone MP, 52; Mr Kenneth Loach, television and film director, 61; Mr Hugh MacMahon, MEP, 59; Mr Barry Manilow, singer and composer, 51; Miss Estelle Morris MP, 45; Lt-Col Aidan Sprot, farmer and former Lord- Lieutenant of Tweeddale, 78; Mr Brian Statham, cricketer, 67; Captain Roderick Stirling of Fairburn, Lord-Lieutenant of Ross and Cromarty and Skye and Lochalsh, 65; Sir Maldwyn Thomas, former president, Welsh Liberal Party, 79; Professor Sir Alan Walters, political economist, 71.
From the blogs
David Prior's very personal reason for thinkg that investigators need appropriate expertise
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
As a reluctant vegetarian (so reluctant that I'm not vegetarian at all) and a reluctant risotto eate...
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t