Tuesday 06 May 1997
Sir John Arnold, former High Court Judge, 82; General Sir Jeremy Blacker, former Master-General of the Ordnance, 58; Mr Tony Blair MP, Prime Minister, 44; Professor Rosemary Cramp, archaeologist, 68; Sir Frank Ereaut, former Bailiff of Jersey, 78; Mr Robert Fell, former chief executive, Stock Exchange, 76; Miss Alessandra Ferri, ballerina, 34; Maj-Gen John Hamilton-Jones, consultant, Cubic Defense Systems, 71; Mr John Henderson, former Lord- Lieutenant of Berkshire, 77; Vice- Admiral Sir Hugh Martell, 85; Mr Freddy Randall, jazz trumpeter, 76; Mr Alan Ross, writer and publisher, 75; The Right Rev John Taylor, former Bishop of St Albans, 68; Mr Norman Whiteside, footballer, 32.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow