Wednesday 24 April 1996
Mr Ralph Brown, sculptor, 68; Field Marshal Lord Carver, former Chief of the Defence Staff, 81; Mr John Ernest Collins, former chairman, Guardian Royal Exchange Assurance Group, 73; Lord Coulsfield, Senator of the College of Justice in Scotland, 62; Sir Gordon Cox, chemist, 90; Sir Peter Cresswell, High Court judge, 52; Sir Clement Freud, writer and former MP, 72; Dame Helen Gardiner, former chief clerk, Private Secretary's Office, Buckingham Palace, 95; Mr Fred Heddell, chief executive, Mencap, 51; Rear-Admiral Sir Joseph Henley, 87; Mr Richard Jarman, managing director, Scottish Opera, 47; Mr Andrew MacKinlay MP, 47; Miss Shirley Maclaine, actress, 62; Mr James Paice MP, 47; Sir Hugh Park, former High Court judge, 86; Mr Stuart Pearce, footballer, 34; Mr Joseph Rank, president, Ranks Hovis McDougall, 78; Miss Bridget Riley, painter, 65; Mr Martin Seymour-Smith, writer, 68; Miss Barbra Streisand, actress and singer, 54; Mr Larry Tindale, former chairman, North British Canadian Investment Trust, 75; Lt-Col Stuart Townend, founder, Hill House School, 87; Mr Frank Wheeler, ambassador to Chile, 58; Mr John Williams, guitarist, 55; Miss Paula Yates, television presenter, 36.
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: HR Manager / Training Manager (L&D /...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Manager - Edgware, Lon...
£32000 - £40000 per annum + bonus: Ashdown Group: HR Manager (Generalist) -Old...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Talent / Learning & Development Mana...