Thursday 12 December 1996
Miss Tracy Austin, tennis player, 36; Mr Lionel Blair, dancer and entertainer, 65; Maj-Gen Sir Rupert Brazier-Creagh, former Director of Staff Duties, War Office, 87; Mr Will Carling, England rugby player, 31; Miss Denise Coffey, actress, director and writer, 60; Mr Jasper Conran, fashion designer, 37; Mr Kenneth Cranham, actor, 52; The Hon Mrs Gwyneth Dunwoody MP, 66; Mr William Ebbert, chairman and managing director, Vauxhall Motors, 54; Miss Connie Francis, singer, 58; Mr Roy Grantham, former national secretary, Apex, 70; Air Commodore Dame Felicity Hill, former Director, WRAAF, 81; Dr Philip Ledger, Principal, Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, 59; Mr Christopher Mullin MP, 49; Mr Frank Sinatra, singer and actor, 81; Mr Clive Thornton, chairman, Gabriel Communications, 67; The Right Rev John Wakeling, former Bishop of Southwell, 78; Miss Dionne Warwick, singer, 55.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportThe coach of Chalfont St Peter's under-10s football team was relieved of his duties after he sent an email to parents that said: 'I am only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Latest in News
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do