Wednesday 25 October 1995
Ex-King Michael of Romania, 74; Sir Robert Andrew, former senior civil servant, 67; Lt-Gen Sir Henry Beverley, 60; Mr Henry Commager, historian, 93; Miss Juliet Fisher, dancer and teacher, 54; Mr Martin Gilbert, historian, 59; Mr Michael Lynagh, rugby player, 32; Sir David Mansel Lewis, Lord- Lieutenant of Dyfed, 68; Sir John Mayhew-Sanders, business consultant, 64; Mr Joe Mercer, former jockey, 61; Miss Helen Reddy, singer, 53; Sir George Russell, chairman, Independent Television Commission, 60; Mr Alan Smith, chief executive, Test and County Cricket Board, 59; Mr Keith Taylor, chairman and chief executive, Esso UK, 57; Miss Galina Vishnevskaya, operatic soprano, 69; Dame Gillian Wagner, chairman, Court of Governors, Thomas Coram Foundation for Children, 68; Professor Donald Wiseman, Emeritus Professor of Assyriology, London University, 77.
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
£28000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: A successful organisation...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Internal Recruiter (manufact...
£50000 - £55000 per annum + 25 days holidays & benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Man...
£40000 - £48000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This software company specialis...