Wednesday 06 September 1995
The Right Rev John Bickersteth, former Bishop of Bath and Wells, 74; Mr Brian Booth, Rector, University of Central Lancashire, 53; Mr Simon Burns MP, a Lord Commissioner of the Treasury, 43; Mr Sherban Cantacuzino, Secretary, Royal Fine Art Commission, 67; Sir Derman Christopherson, former Master, Magdalene College, Cambridge, 80; Miss Britt Ekland, actress, 52; Sir Andrew Hugh Smith, chairman, Holland & Holland, 64; Sir John Johnson, chairman, Countryside Commission, 65; Mr Roger Knight, Secretary, MCC, 49; Mr Roger Law, puppeteer, 54; Mr George Mann, cricketer and former chairman, TCCB, 78; Miss Monica Mason, ballerina, 54; Lord O'Hagan, former MEP, 50; Sir Peter Pain, former High Court judge, 82; Sir James Stubblefield, geologist, 94; Miss Jackie Trent, singer and lyricist, 55; Mr Terence Wood, ambassador to Austria, 59.
From the blogs
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
Cask ale brewers don’t come much bigger than Marston’s. In fact the brewery, which also owns thousan...
Nadine Dorries talks freely about many things, but not whether she was paid to go on I'm a Cleberity...
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf