Bob Hoskins dead: 7 things you didn’t know about the actor from Jamie T music video to hatred of Super Mario
Hook actor was decorated at Cannes, Golden Globes and Baftas
British acting veteran Bob Hoskins died at the age of 71 today following a bout of pneumonia.
He is probably best known for his roles in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Mona Lisa and The Long Good Friday, but here's some things you may not know about him:
1. He starred in a music video for Jamie T, walking along Southbank and mouthing the lyrics to "Sheila".
2. Joking about his similarities with the actor, he once said he would like Danny DeVito to play him in a film about his life.
3. He really hates the Super Mario Bros movie (in which he played the moustachioed plumber)
From a Guardian Q&A:
What is the worst job you've done?
Super Mario Brothers.
What has been your biggest disappointment?
Super Mario Brothers.
If you could edit your past, what would you change?
I wouldn't do Super Mario Brothers.
4. He once delivered a 30-minute monologue as a hitman waiting in a public toilet.
5. He won Cannes Film Festival's prestigious Prix d'interprétation masculine for his role in Mona Lisa
6. Outside of his gangster roles, he once played Pope John XXIII in TV biopic The Good Pope.
7. A dad joke he delivered in Hook has over 140,000 YouTube views.
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 3 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 4 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
Isis 'bulldozes' Nimrud: UNESCO condemns destruction of ancient Assyrian site as a 'war crime'
Professor Brian Cox brands astrology-believing Tory MP David Tredinnick an 'outlier on the spectrum of reason'
Lynch mob kills suspected rapist in India after dragging him naked for four miles through city
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Have you been doing a brilliant job in an admi...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you an innovative, senior H...
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our client, a very well respect...
£25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An HR Consultant is required to join thi...