The task of finding such an amount of money rests, in most cases, with the parish and the congregation. As All Saints' is a Grade I listed building, it has applied for a grant from English Heritage. In addition, All Saints' has applied for a grant from the Historic Churches Preservation Trust, which has less money to spend than the commission but will consider all historic churches over 100 years old.
Since the appeal began this spring, the parishioners of Arksey, which has a population of under 2,000, have held an organ recital, a musical evening, a collection at Pontrefact Race Course, a garden party and a gala. So far, pounds 3,661 has been raised.
For further information, contact: Canon CJA Hickling, All Saints' Vicarage, Station Road, Arksey, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN5 0SP, telephone 0302 874445.
All Saints', Wyke Regis, Dorset. Built 1455. Its tower has long been a landmark for sailors; many, including Capt John Wordsworth, the brother of William, are buried in the graveyard. Appeal: pounds 56,000, for further repairs to the tower. - Canon KA Hugo, The Rectory, 1 Portland Road, Weymouth, Dorset DT4 9ES, telephone 0305 784649.
All Saints', Maldon, Essex. 10th century origins with a unique timber and shingle hexagonal-shaped 14th-century spire placed on a triangular tower. Appeal: pounds 80,000, to repair the spire, tower and sanctus bell. - All Saints' Vicarage, Church Walk, Maldon, Essex CM9 7PY, telephone 0621 854179.
St Michael and All Angels, Kington St Michael, Wiltshire. Built between 12th and 17th centuries. A pinnacle from the 300-year-old spire fell through the nave roof during a service in 1990. Appeal: pounds 133,000, to restore the roof. - Kington St Michael Restoration Fund, c/o 8 Kyneton Way, Kington St Michael, Wiltshire SN14 6LF, telephone 0249 750733.
St Andrew's, Bromley Cross, Lancashire. At present there is no church building: the Victorian tin tabernacle, which the parish was given 90 years ago, was demolished recently. Sunday worship takes place at a local school. Appeal: pounds 250,000, to build a new church. - Canon JI McFie, Walmsley Vicarage, Egerton, Bolton, Lancashire, BL7 9RZ, telephone 0204 304283.
St Andrew's, Sutton in the Isle, Cambridgeshire. Built 1400. Spire echoes that of Ely Cathedral nearby. Appeal: pounds 200,000, to repair cracked spire and damaged bell-frame. - St Andrew's Church Restoration Appeal Fund, 2 Eastwood Close, Sutton, Ely, Cambridgeshire CB6 2RH, telephone 0353 778423.
St Alphege's, Solihull, West Midlands. 13th century. Victorian stained-glass windows by CE Kempe. Appeal: pounds 175,000, to restore organ and build a parish centre for one of the district churches. - The Appeal Fund, Parish Office, Oliver Bird Hall, Church Hill Road, Solihull, West Midlands B91 3RQ, telephone 021-705 5350.
St Mary and St Nicholas, Leatherhead, Surrey. Dates from the late 11th century, with a 15th-century tower and Victorian additions. Appeal: pounds 30,000, to replace the heating system's Victorian pipework. - The Rev David Eaton, The Vicarage, 3 St Mary's Road, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8EZ, telephone 0372 372313.
St George's, Cam, Gloucestershire. Built 1340, on the site of an earlier Augustinian priory; enlarged 1360; Victorian additions. Appeal: pounds 150,000, to re-hang six bells, renew the roof and electrify the church clock's winding. - Fr Christopher Malkinson, The Vicarage, Church Road, Cam, Dursley, Gloucestershire GL11 5PQ, telephone 0453 542084.
St Luke's, St Albans, Hertfordshire. Built 1968; became a parish church in its own right in 1986. Appeal: pounds 200,000, to enlarge the church and transform the church hall into a parish centre. - The Secretary, St Luke's Development Appeal Committee, 35 Cunningham Avenue, St Albans, Hertfordshire AL1 1JJ, telephone 0727 835760.
St Andrew's, Noctorum, Merseyside. Built 1973, as a church and community centre in a newly built-up area. Appeal: pounds 120,000, to extend and re-organise the building. - The Rev William Hogg, 12 Silverdale Road, Oxton, Birkenhead L43 2JR, telephone 051-653 8493.
St Peter and St Mary Madgalene, Barnstaple, North Devon. 13th century, noted for its twisted broach-spire. Organ built in 1764 by John Crang, the master organ-maker, and donated by Sir George Amyand, a friend of Handel. Appeal: pounds 92,000, to repair the organ. - Organ Appeal Secretary, Garden Court, Prospect Place, Barnstaple, North Devon EX32 9AS, telephone 0271 43910.
St Mary the Virgin, Haddenham, Buckinghamshire. Built between 12th and 15th centuries. Appeal: pounds 65,000, to restore stonework, window mouldings and roof timbers. - Church Restoration Fund Committee, Stone Walls, Aston Road, Haddenham, Buckinghamshire HP17 8AF, telephone 0844 291830.
St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough, Hampshire. Built 1888. Benedictine abbey maintained by monks living in monastery attached. Imperial Crypt built by Empress Eugenie as a memorial to her husband, Emperor Napoleon III, who died in 1873, and her son, the Prince Imperial, who was killed by Zulus in South Africa in 1879. The Empress, who is also buried in the crypt, died in 1920, aged 94. Appeal: pounds 1.9m, for a capital reserve fund to open the abbey and crypt to the public, to build a museum and restore the buildings. - John Ades, Bursar, St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 7NQ, telephone 0252 546105.
St Peter and St Paul, Carbrooke, Norfolk. 13th century with 15th-century additions. Fine rood screen, medieval altar stone. Appeal: pounds 60,000, to install a heating system and to repair the chancel roof. - David Saunders, Churchwarden, Barn Pightle, Broadmoor Road, Carbrooke, Thetford, Norfolk IP25 6SZ, telephone 0953 883510.
St Bartholomew's, Westhoughton, Lancashire. Built 1869, and, except for the tower, completely destroyed by fire in 1990. The tower is now restored. Appeal: pounds 350,000, to re-build a new, larger church to allow for community rooms and church offices. - The Rev Simon Tatton-Brown, The Rectory, Market Street, Westhoughton, Bolton BL5 3AZ, telephone 0942 813280.
All Saints', Marlow, Buckinghamshire. Built 1832-35, designed by CF Inwood, replacing an earlier wooden church. Appeal: pounds 200,000, to complete external repairs and to overhaul the 'Father' Willis organ. - All Saints' Restoration Appeal, Brampton House, 100 High Street, Marlow, Buckinghamshire SL7 1AQ, telephone 0628 483378.
St Peter's, Coton, Cambridgeshire. 11th century with later additions. Noted for its Norman font and 19th-century stained- glass windows made by the William Morris School in Cambridge. Appeal: pounds 100,000, for a contingency fund for future repairs. - The Rev Hugh Searle, The Vicarage, Barton, Cambridgeshire CB3 7BG, telephone 0223 262218.
Christ Church, Helme, West Yorkshire. Built 1846. Appeal: pounds 49,000, to update the interior of the church to offer parishioners more meeting facilities. - The Rev Ralph Tuck, 5 Nields Road, Slaithwaite, West Yorkshire HD7 5HT, telephone 0484 843583.
St Swithin's, Thorley, Isle of Wight. Built 1871, to replace a 13th-century 'barn' shaped church. Noted for its two 13th- century bells. Appeal: pounds 10,000, to remove and repair the bells so that they can ring again. - Thorley Church PCC Bell Fund, Homestead, Thorley, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight PO41 OSS, telephone 0983 760326.
St Lawrence, Alton, Hampshire. Between 11th and 15th centuries. The final scene of the Battle of Alton, 1643: Col John Bowles, heading a cavalier regiment, was driven into the church and killed in the pulpit. Appeal: pounds 300,000, for final stage of restoration programme and to overhaul the organ. - The Rev Robert Gussman, St Lawrence Vicarage, Alton, Hampshire GU34 2BW, telephone 0420 83234.
St John the Baptist, Metfield, Suffolk. 13th century origins with 15th-century perpendicular windows, a timber vaulted porch and a 17th-century turret clock, still in use. Appeal: pounds 34,000, to construct a new ringing-floor and to repair and tune the three bells. - Metfield Church Restoration Appeal, School House, Metfield, Harleston, Norfolk IP20 OLA, telephone 0379 86364.
Holy Trinity, St Andrews, Fife. Originally built 1410-12; rebuilt in late 18th century and restored in early 20th century. Noted for interior, long arcades, coved oak ceiling and rich stained-glass windows. Appeal: pounds 250,000, to repair roof, made of Caithness slabs, and guttering. - M. Dominiak, Finance Convenor, 1 Spinkie Crescent, St Andrews, Fife KY16 8SH, telephone 0334 75717.
St Peter and St Paul, Charing, Kent. Mainly 16th century. Built on land given by King Egbert II to the Church in AD780. The only parish church in England to have a saint - St Richard - among its vicars. Appeal: pounds 125,000, to repair the interior and the bells and to form a trust fund for the church's long-term care. - Lt-Col HS Ball, Appeal Chairman, Wakeley House, Charing, Ashford, Kent TN27 OLS, telephone 023371 2639.
All Saints', Roffey, West Sussex. Built 1878, by AW Bloomfield. Appeal: pounds 15,000, to repair and renovate the Walker organ. - L. Brooks, church-warden, 44 Pollards Drive, Horsham RH13 5HH, telephone 0403 64075.
St Leonard's, Flamstead, Hertfordshire. Mainly 12th century, some later additions. Noted for 13th-century wall-paintings of the Resurrection, reputedly painted by a monk of St Albans Abbey. Appeal: pounds 30,000, to repair a bulging wall in the tower. - The Rev D. King, St Leonard's Church, 50 Trowley Hill Road, Flamstead, St Albans, Hertfordshire AL3 8DH, telephone 0582 840271.
Holy Trinity, Hastings, East Sussex. Built 1857, designed by SS Teulon on land reclaimed from the sea. Five gothic Great Lantern windows, and stained glass by Clayton and Bell, and CE Kempe. Appeal: pounds 50,000, for urgent restoration and cleaning to exterior stonework. - The Rev Timothy Tolworthy, The Vicarage, 72 Priory Avenue, Hastings, East Sussex TN34 1UG, telephone 0424 441766.
St Henry and St Elizabeth, Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey, Kent. Built 1864, listed Grade II, in the Early English and Middle Pointed styles. Designed by Edward Pugin, for the Roman Catholic community; sited on the sea-front. Appeal: pounds 50,000, for crumbling interior walls and arches. - Fr David Standley, The Presbytery, Broadway, Sheerness, Kent ME12 1TS, telephone 0795 662142.
St Mary's, East Claydon, Buckinghamshire. 13th century with later additions. Known for bells made by Abel Rudhall in 1752. Appeal: pounds 15,000, to repair cracks in bell-tower walls and restore bells. - The Rev John Rankin, The Rectory, Steeple Claydon, Buckinghamshire MK18 2PY, telephone 029673 8055.
St Julian's, Norwich, Norfolk. Saxon church with medieval windows, badly bombed in 1942 and rebuilt on Saxon plan. A chapel marks the site of the cell of St Julian of Norwich, the 15th-century anchoress who wrote The Revelations of Divine Love. Appeal: pounds 30,000, for heating and to re-hang medieval bell. - The Rev John-Michael Mountney, The Julian Centre, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1QT, telephone 0603 767380.
St Oswald's, Bedminster Down, Avon. Built 1929, designed by Hartland Thomas, with a tower, to give the impression of being Norman. Appeal: pounds 20,000, to restore the tower. - The Rev Mark Pilgrim, St Oswald's Vicarage, Cheddar Grove, Bedminster Down, Bristol BS13 7EN, telephone 0272 642649.
St Mary the Virgin, Newington, Kent. 12th century with later additions. Once known as 'the church amongst the orchards'. Noted for its arcaded tomb, the Shrine of St Robert, whose identity is unknown; also 14th-century wall-paintings. Appeal: pounds 80,000, for general restoration. - The Rev Roger Kent, The Vicarage, Church Lane, Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent ME9 7JU, telephone 0795 844345.
Unitarian Church, Pudsey, West Yorkshire. Built 1861, designed by William Hill. Congregation formed by Joseph Barker, expelled by the Methodist New Connexion for his liberal beliefs. Appeal: pounds 20,000, to re-slate the chapel roof. - The Secretary, Colin Gadsby, 70 South Parade, Pudsey, West Yorkshire LS28 8NX, telephone 0532 577612.
St Jude-on-the-Hill, Hampstead Garden Suburb. Designed by Edwin Lutyens, 1909, completed 1933, with a tall tower and spire. Appeal: pounds 80,000, to restore the organ made by 'Father' Willis. - Richard Clegg, 16 Inglewood Road, London NW6 1QT, telephone 071-794 9620.
St Mary Woolnoth, Lombard Street. Built 1716-24, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor; altered in 1876 by William Butterfield. Grade I listed. Appeal: pounds 4,000, to restore corbels and guttae. - The Rev Richard Hayes, St Mary Woolnoth Vestry, Lombard Street, London EC3V 9AN, telephone 071-626 9701.
Christ Church and St Paul's, Forest Hill. Built 1854, in the Gothic style, designed by Ewan Christian. Appeal: pounds 500,000, to restore and redevelop the church which has not been used since 1987 - the congregation is presently using nearby Christ Church School. - The Rev Christopher Harrison, 20 Gaynesford Road, Forest Hill, London SE23 2UQ, telephone 081-699 2576.
St Chad's, Haggerston. Mid-19th century, designed by James Brookes. Appeal: pounds 100,000, to convert the church hall into a nursery and day centre to relieve the overcrowding and stress that local people suffer. - Appeal Director, 28 Cassland Road, London E9 7AN, telephone 081-985 4909.
St John-at-Hackney. Built 1792-97, designed by James Spiller, with steeple and porches added 1812-13. One of London's largest parish churches. Appeal: pounds 200,000, to provide facilities for the homeless and those suffering from mental illness. - The Rev William Hurdman, The Rectory, 356 Mare Street, London E8 1HR, telephone 081-985 5374.
St Alphege's, Greenwich. Built 1712-14, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor, on the site of an existing church. Named after an early Archbishop of Canterbury who was beaten to death in 1012 by marauding Vikings, on the site of the present altar. The Elizabethan composer and organist Thomas Tallis is buried in the crypt. Appeal: pounds 350,000, for wiring, lighting, redecorating and restoring the organ; to make the church more accessible to the public. - The Rev Giles Harcourt, The Vicarage, Park Vista, Greenwich, London SE10 9LZ, telephone 081-858 6828.
The London Oratory, Brompton. Built 1880-84, designed by Herbert Gribble; noted for its Italianate neo-baroque style and great dome. One of the busiest churches in London, rivalling Westminster Cathedral in Sunday mass attendance; holds at least seven masses a day. Appeal: pounds 2m, to repair the transept and nave roofs and clean the Portland stone facade. - Appeal Director, The Oratory, London SW7 2RP, telephone 071-581 8701.
St Thomas The Apostle, Hanwell. Built 1933, designed by Sir Edward Maufe, who used the church as a 'model' for the markedly similar Guildford Cathedral, designed 1932. First church in England to be constructed primarily of pre-stressed concrete. A stone Calvary on the east wall was carved in situ by Eric Gill. Appeal: pounds 130,000, to remove asbestos from the internal walls. - The Rev Peter Andrews, St Thomas the Apostle Vicarage, 182 Boston Road, Hanwell, London W7 2AD, telephone 081-567 5280.
St Saviour and St James, Pimlico. Built 1888, overlooking one of London's largest squares. Appeal: pounds 357,000, to repair roofs, plasterwork, flooring, and build a room for community gatherings. - Parish Office, St Saviour's Church, Lupus Street, London SW1V 3QW, telephone 071-834 9520.
All Saints', Fulham. Dates from ninth century; a 15th-century church with extensive Victorian additions. Appeal: pounds 300,000, to restore masonry, memorials and decorations; to redecorate the interior and to overhaul the clock and organ. - Iain Mitchell, Appeal Chairman, 2 Oxberry Avenue, London SW6 5SS, telephone 071-731 5545.
No further submissions for church appeals can be accepted, but the feature will be repeated later this year. Details will be published in the autumn.
(Photograph omitted)Reuse content