Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's puppy dies after eating poisonous mushroom three weeks after being saved from drowning

The actor left a heartfelt tribute to Brutus on Instagram

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson has announced that his French bulldog puppy, Brutus, has died after eating a poisonous mushroom.

The actor insisted that "We have to live and love as greatly as we can today" as he uploaded a picture of himself cradling Brutus to Instagram, explaining that the puppy's liver and immune system were irreversibly damaged, causing him to be put on life support.

He went on to warn dog owners over potentially toxic mushrooms, saying “I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent can be deadly to your lil’ family members.”

Johnson thanked the staff at the vetinary clinic, before ending his post with the gut-wrenching hashtag #IWishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime.

 

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on

 

Johnson only adopted Brutus and another French bulldog puppy, Hobbs, three weeks ago, though the dogs’ introduction to the A-lister’s brood got off on the wrong foot (paw) when Brutus nearly drowned in his giant swimming pool.

Johnson had to dive in and scoop out the steadily sinking puppy, which ended up going viral when Johnson shared the harrowing anecdote on social media.

“Not all puppies have the instinct to doggie paddle,” he helpfully explained, next to a photo of the two terrified looking dogs. “Some puppies (like BRUTUS) will be so in shock by experiencing water they will sink extremely fast.

R.I.P Brutus. Your short time on this earth was extreme to say the least.

Comments