We are currently trialling our new-look independent.co.uk website - please send any feedback to beta@independent.co.uk


Paul McCartney: Fears for former Beatle after virus puts him in Tokyo hospital

A spokeswoman said the former Beatle would 'make a complete recovery'

Concern grew for the health of Sir Paul McCartney yesterday after he was forced to cancel more concerts in Japan and South Korea because of a virus.

The 71-year-old former Beatle was hit by the bug on 16 May and was ordered to rest by doctors in his hotel room. He was then admitted to hospital in Tokyo on Tuesday and fans have been holding a vigil outside to show their support.

However his spokeswoman Perri Cohen said he was now responding to treatment.

“Since contracting a virus last week that led to the postponement of tour dates, Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo,” she said.

“He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days’ rest. Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world.”

His condition had forced the cancellation of two concerts in Japan and the last one there was called off yesterday along with one planned for Seoul, South Korea, on Wednesday next week.

His brother Mike told the Mirror newspaper that had received a reassuring text from Sir Paul.

“Paul told me he was recovering slowly but surely, so I’m sure he’s on the mend,” he said.

And Rusty Anderson, Sir Paul’s lead guitarist on the tour, said in a tweet: “Now just awaiting Paul’s recovery.”

A fan outside St Luke’s International Hospital in Tokyo said: “I was surprised when I first heard about the cancellation of the gigs, but now I hear that he’s been hospitalised and I’m more concerned about the state of his health.”

Sir Paul apologised for “letting my fans down” earlier this week, saying he had hoped to be well enough to perform in Japan.

He is due to go to America to play 19 concerts, starting in Lubbock, Texas, on 14 June.