Kim Kardashian West sues gossip website for claiming she lied about armed robbery

The lawsuit claims the reality TV mogul was further ‘victimised’ by the tabloid website after her ‘traumatic’ ordeal in Paris

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Kim Kardashian West has filed a defamation lawsuit against a tabloid website for publishing allegations she lied about and faked being the victim of an armed robbery in Paris.

Kardashian West was bound and gagged by two masked men who held a gun to her head after breaking into her luxury accommodation in Paris last week. French police say the suspected thieves are believed to have made off with millions of pounds worth of jewellery.

The 35-year-old has now launched legal action against the gossip website Media Take Out and its founder Fred Mwangaguhunga over several stories they ran “hours after the robbery” which accused her “without any factual support whatsoever, that Kardashian faked the robbery, lied about the violent assault and then filed a fraudulent claim with her insurance company to bilk her carrier out of millions of dollars”.

The lawsuit, filed in New York, alleges: “After being the victim of a horrific and traumatic armed robbery in France, Kim Kardashian returned to the United States only to again be victimised, but this time by an online gossip tabloid that published a series of articles in early October 2016 referring to her a liar and a thief”.

The legal documents claim the site published false and misleading headlines and had no credible or reliable sources for the “outrageous claims” they published. The suit says as the only people who know what happened during the robbery are Kardashian West, a concierge who was also held at gunpoint and the assailants, the website had “no legitimate basis for questioning the veracity of Kardashian’s ordeal, much less accusing Kardashian of criminal conduct”.

 

The suit also claims that the website ignored repeated requests from Kardashian West to publish retractions of their articles and apologise. Several stories about Kardashian West on the website appear to have now been removed.

The 35-year-old has been at home in Los Angeles since the ordeal which she has not yet commented on. She has also uncharacteristically refrained from updating her social media channels or being seen in public.

On Tuesday, her sister Khloe Kardashian was the first family member to provide an update on how Kardashian West is, saying she is “not doing that well”.

“It’s incredibly traumatic what happened to her but our family is super close and we’ll get through it together,” she told the Ellen Show. “And we do appreciate all you guys’ love and support but it will take time. It’s horrible what happened to her.”

 

Media Take Out did not immediately respond to a request for comment.