Bible belonging to Elvis Presley set to fetch £20,000
Wednesday 15 August 2012
A Bible belonging to Elvis Presley which contains handwritten notes by the star is to go on sale to mark the 35th anniversary of his death.
The book was given to him as a present by his Uncle Vester and Aunt Clettes for his first Christmas at his Graceland home in 1957.
Its 1,600 pages contain numerous annotations by the King, who died on August 16 1977.
In one passage, Elvis wrote: "To judge a man by his weakest link or deed is like judging the power of the ocean by one wave."
The Bible, embossed in gold on a leather cover, is among more than 100 lots of rare Elvis memorabilia to go on sale at Stockport-based Omega Auctions on Saturday 8 September.
The collection is being sold on behalf of a British Elvis collector and the Bible is expected to fetch more than of £20,000.
Auctioneer Paul Fairweather said: "With much of the memorabilia in the collection having never previously been seen in the market, we are expecting significant interest from Elvis fans and collectors worldwide."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Latest in News
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Leading global manufacturing com...
£185 - £250 per day: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a ...