Etch A Sketch creator, André Cassagnes, dies aged 86
Sunday 03 February 2013
He may not be a household name, but the magic screen he invented is a stock memory for generations of children across the world.
André Cassagnes, 86, inventor of the Etch a Sketch, was confirmed dead last night by the US art firm which marketed his creation. The Ohio Art Company said he died on 16 January, in Paris; he is survived by his wife and three children.
Cassagnes was said to have stumbled by accident across the idea for the toy, a pencil-free pad made of aluminium powder that could be drawn on, cleared and drawn on again. As an electrical technician in the late 1950s he peeled a translucent decal from a light switch plate and found his pencil mark transferred to the opposite face. From that came the idea for the reusable pad. More than 100 million have been sold.
Ohio Art's president, Larry Killgallon, said: "His invention brought joy to so many over such a long period of time."
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Exciting career opportunity to join East...
£18000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious start-up company b...
VOLUNTARY ONLY - EXPENSES REIMBURSED: Reach Volunteering: Do you love the Engl...