Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Ex-Stone Roses singer Ian Brown has driving charge dropped

Former Stone Roses frontman Ian Brown was told he was "free to go" by a court today after prosecutors dropped a driving charge against him.

The 47-year-old, from Lymm, Cheshire, appeared before Waltham Forest Magistrates' Court in north east London to answer a charge of failing to provide information last December relating to the identification of the driver of a car alleged to have committed a speeding offence.

In a short hearing, Sabrina Samaroo, for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), said she would not be offering any evidence after discussions with Harriet Bathurst-Norman, counsel for Brown.

No further details about the charge were given at the court hearing.

Chairman of the magistrates Alan Sims, addressing the musician, said: "You have heard the prosecutor say that she is offering no evidence - that means you are free to go."

A statement issued outside the court by Freeman & Co solicitors, which represented Brown, said the singer was summonsed with failing to furnish driver details, after allegedly ignoring both a speeding notice and a reminder.

The case arose after a car registered in Brown's name was flashed doing 65mph in a 50mph limit at 10.30pm on November 16 last year, on the A40 near RAF Northolt, the firm said in a statement.

Brown failed to respond to both a speeding notice and a reminder, so a summons was issued for him to appear before court, Freeman & Co said.

Nick Freeman, the celebrity lawyer who represented Brown, said he was "delighted" by the result but criticised the CPS for taking so long in making its decision.

He said the summons was "defective" as the date of the alleged offence on it was incorrect.

Had he been found guilty, Brown's licence would have automatically been endorsed with six points.