Gordon Brown earns £62,000 for a speech
Monday 25 April 2011
Gordon Brown has earned hundreds of thousands of pounds from speeches and a book deal since leaving Downing Street, according to the register of MPs' interests.
The former prime minister is being paid around £50,000 per speech and earned an advance payment of £78,290 for his book detailing the global economic crisis.
Mr Brown has made clear that he does not personally receive the money earned from speeches; instead it is held by the Office of Gordon and Sarah Brown to employ staff to support his "ongoing involvement in public life". He said all the profits from his book Beyond the Crash would go to charity.
He was paid £71,544 for his role as "distinguished global leader in residence" at New York University and £62,181 for making a speech in Nigeria organised by This Day newspaper. He was also paid £49,053 for a speech to King Saud University in Saudi Arabia.
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
£60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Compensation and Benefits Manager - Compensat...
£28000 - £35000 per annum + negotiable: Sauce Recruitment: We have an exciting...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Advisor - North London...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + negotiable: Sauce Recruitment: We have an exciting...